[coreboot] suspend/resume in v3

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Mon Sep 8 17:34:23 CEST 2008

* Carl-Daniel Hailfinger <c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net> [080908 17:17]:
> - Declare the CAR area as reserved.

What is it again that keeps us from putting CAR area somewhere where
there's no real RAM?

> - When loading any LAR member which is not XIP, back up the memory that
> would be clobbered to the reserved area at the top of memory.

Why don't we just put it into the reserved area to begin with, instead
of doing those luxations? Creating a generic relocator does not make
much sense, because stuff like the SeaBIOS area will not have to be
preserved.

> - Make sure to store any created tables only in specially reserved memory.

Now that's where it's getting really hard. Linux always keeps the first
two pages reserved though. It also reserves most tables itself (which is
why you get those page 0 reserved twice warnings when you put the
mptable into page 0)

> > The SuperIO has GPIOs. These control various things, among them can be
> > the power lines of devices, such as WiFi or even RAM. Software needs to
> > be able to control RAM power, so either the southbridge GPIOs or the
> > SuperIO GPIOs are used for that.
>
> Cool. Could you add that very important information to the wiki somewhere?

I don't think it's magic,.. but where to put it? Can someone start an
S3/Resume page?

> Regards,
> Carl-Daniel
>
> --
> http://www.hailfinger.org/

      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613