[coreboot] was: wiki account request (for GRUB 2) - now: FILO integration into libpayload

Joseph Smith joe at settoplinux.org
Fri Sep 5 21:17:55 CEST 2008

On Fri, 05 Sep 2008 13:39:18 -0400, Joseph Smith <joe at settoplinux.org>
wrote:

> On Fri, 05 Sep 2008 19:17:13 +0200, Stefan Reinauer
> <stepan at coresystems.de>
> wrote:
>>> Do you mean integrating FILO into libpayload or will the FILO main()
>> still
>>> be seperate code?
>>>
>> No, it will always stay seperate code.
>>
>>> I like the "painting a nice menu" part. Maybe with a pretty coreboot
>> logo
>>> too...
>>>

>>> While we are on the subject, I was also thinking about how hard would
> it
>> be
>>> to allocate a small part of flash as a read/write user area for saving
>> boot
>>> options?
>>>
>> With flashrom ported to libpayload it should be quite reasonable.
>>
>> If nvram (256 bytes of cmos) are enough, you can have that right away..
>> FILO 0.6 has an option to read the default menu entry from cmos, and it
>> can be set/changed with nvramtool.
>>
> Cool I did not know that, is it documented on the wiki somewhere?

Looks like the nvram page on the wiki says:

Some of the fields are used by payloads - for instance all the fields that
start with 'boot_' in the list above. FILO does not use those fields
currently, but Etherboot does (someone confirm this please!).

Does this need to be updated?? Has it been confirmed??

--
Thanks,
Joseph Smith