[coreboot] via vt82c686 southbridge

Corey Osgood corey.osgood at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 19:26:06 CEST 2008

On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 11:55 AM, Daniel Lindenaar <daniel at lindenaar.eu> wrote:
> Hi everybody,
> Too bad, first test boot didn't work... at all... I expected the early
> serial stuff to work at least (as this was already in svn, but...)
>
> I'm using a very simple null-modem cable with only rx,tx and ground wired.
> Is this enough or does coreboot require a more complete cable?
>
> Also, do I need some special settings to enable the debugging output?
>
> I really feel like the newbie now, asking these basic questions :), but I
> also would really like to get this thing working on this motherboard...
>
> regards Daniel

Nope, that cable should be plenty, as long as it's good. A couple
things to check, when I wrote vt82c686's early serial stuff, I may
have configured it to use the second serial output, because I think
that's all my board had. I can't remember though, so check the
datasheet (I can't right now). Also, check that your debugging setup
actually works, boot linux with the stock bios and "console=tty0
console=ttyS0,115200" passed to linux. If you don't get a linux boot
log, something's wrong with your serial setup. If everything checks
out, send me a compressed copy of your tree, and I'll try to find the
problem.

-Corey