[coreboot] K8 INIT detection

Marc Jones Marc.Jones at amd.com
Wed Sep 3 21:59:43 CEST 2008

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
> Hi Marc,
>
> I'm working on v3 and K8 setup. Right now, we try to determine whether
> we rebooted because of INIT by looking at bit 11 of MTRRdefType because
> it survives INIT and doesn't survive a cold or warm reboot. Although
> this is a nice generic way, we can only read it early in stage0 asm
> because we clobber it late in stage0 asm.
>
> HyperTransport Initialization Control Register Function 0 Offset 6Ch Bit
> 6: InitDet looks exactly like what we want for that, and it is not
> clobbered. Quoting from a really old BKDG (26094 Rev. 3.30 February 2006):
> "INIT Detect (InitDet)—Bit 6. This bit may be used to distinguish
> between an INIT and a warm/cold reset by setting the bit to 1 before an
> initialization event is generated. This bit is cleared by a warm or cold
> reset but not by an INIT."
> Newer BKDGs say the same, so my question is how far back into the past
> (in terms of CPUs supported by coreboot v2) and how far into the future
> we can rely on this. It would certainly allow our stage0/stage1 code to
> enjoy a cleaner design, not to mention improved readability.
>
> Regards,
> Carl-Daniel

Yes, 6Ch Bit 6: InitDet is a better way to do it. The 3.30 BKDG covers
rev a-e so it should be in all revisions of k8. It is also in the
Barcelona and I expect in all future versions. It looks like it is used
in K8 and Fam10 code. Grep for HTIC_INIT_Detect

Marc

--
Marc Jones
Senior Firmware Engineer