[coreboot] assistance with updating my bios

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Fri Oct 31 19:38:11 CET 2008

Hi,

z4ziggy at gmail.com wrote:
> No EEPROM/flash device found.
> If you know which flash chip you have, and if this version of flashrom
> supports a similar flash chip, you can try to force read your chip. Run:
> flashrom -f -r -c similar_supported_flash_chip filename
>
> Note: flashrom can never write when the flash chip isn't found
> automatically.

The above note is sadly not a joke.

Corey Osgood wrote:
> AFAIK, flashrom is broken for most ICHx.

Not so, it works very well on a whole bunch of them.

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
> On 30.10.2008 16:57, z4ziggy at gmail.com wrote:
> > any plans on fixing the issue or using alternative? is there a
> > way i can assist?
>
> Your flash chip is not supported. I'll add code for it.

Some info Carl-Daniel didn't post, maybe it is informative;

It seems that the system has a Winbond W25B40 or W25B40A flash chip.
This is an SPI flash chip, but it seems to behave just like a FWH
type chip.

While waiting for Carl-Daniel you can try the attached patch. I doubt
it will work but you never know.

//Peter