[coreboot] assistance with updating my bios

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Thu Oct 30 13:30:21 CET 2008

Hi Elia,

On 30.10.2008 11:45, Elia Yehuda wrote:
> I'm trying to play with coreboot to flash my bios on my PC, with no success.
> here are the computer hardware information followed by the commands I'm
> trying to execute.
>
> cpu:         Socket370 Intel Pentium III Celeron
> northbridge:    Intel 82810E
> southbridge:    Intel 8281AA
> mainboard:    810 R 4.1 with lan
> super i/o:    Winbond W8362F-AW
> bios device:    ST M50FW002
>
> lspci output:
> [...]
>
> $ flashrom -f -r -c M50FW016 mydump
> Calibrating delay loop... OK.
> No coreboot table found.
> Found chipset "Intel ICH", enabling flash write... OK.
> No EEPROM/flash device found.
> Force read (-f -r -c) requested, forcing chip probe success:
> Found chip "ST M50FW016" (2048 KB) at physical address 0xffe00000.
> Force reading flash...done

It is a bad sign if you had to force the chip type for the read operation.

> $ flashrom -f -w -c M50FW016 mydump
> Calibrating delay loop... OK.
> No coreboot table found.
> Found chipset "Intel ICH", enabling flash write... OK.
> No EEPROM/flash device found.

Force write can't work because the strategy for access is unknown.

> I'd appreciate any assistance as all this flashing stuff is new to me.
> Basically what i'm trying to accomplish is having my linux system running as
> the payload, but i'm stuck with even re-writing the same bios-dump i've just
> read from the bios... I'll post any further information required to diagnose
> this further.

Can you run
flashrom -V
and report the results to this list?

We may need to change the chipset/board enable sequence for your board.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel

--
http://www.hailfinger.org/