[coreboot] r964 - coreboot-v3/util/x86emu

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Thu Oct 30 03:06:03 CET 2008

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
> On 30.10.2008 01:26, Stefan Reinauer wrote:
>
>> So, just come up with a better solution for the problem that does not
>> involve using FSEG because that's gone already.
>>

> What about:
> - Keep the shared part of the ROM cached (or even locked in cache) or
> anything that will allow the processor to continue fetching/executing
> code while sizing the BARs.
> - Trap on each option ROM write to a BAR, check if it is sizing related,
> then give back the expected info and leave the BAR untouched. vm86 can
> be trapped easily. For x86emu, we don't even have to trap. That leaves
> our own BAR sizing as a possible problem. As long as we get that one
> right, we win.
>
> I believe Ron earlier suggested key ingredients of the recipe above, so
> I don't want to take credit for it.

I was just thinking: Since we want to leave option rom init to seabios
living in FSEF after all: We're not calling anything from below 4G
anymore as we're in a different scope. So we wouldn't have to give up on
sharing, and would still get the issue out of the way while removing
lots and lots of code in coreboot.

Stefan

      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613