[coreboot] DFI Infinity NF570-M2/G motherboard

Corey Osgood corey.osgood at gmail.com
Sun Oct 26 00:57:33 CEST 2008

On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 11:13 AM, Chris Lingard <chris at stockwith.co.uk>wrote:

> I have been following this list for a while, and noted down the names of
> socketed motherboards.  When I went to purchase one, they were all
> obsolete/unobtainable in the United Kingdom.  The local computer shop is
> Linux friendly, so I asked them to find a motherboard with a socketed chip,
> and they suggested the above.  At last I can try coreboot without soldering
> and switches.
>
> The board comes with a ITE IT8716F 4MB chip; but that is compatible with
>  SST49LF040A chips.  I already have these and some SST49LF080A chips; just
> wish there were 160 or 320MB

I'm hoping that's a typo, SST49LF080 is 8Mb (that's 8 megabits, or 1
megabyte), larger chips would be 16 or 32Mb (2 or 4MB).

> The motherboard is electrically very similar to the Gigabyte M57SLI having
> a NVidea 570 SLI MCP(MCP55) chip set.
>
> I have only had the machine 6 hours, have loaded Linux, and had a go at
> building and booting coreboot; must get more fall back chips before
> proceeding.

How many do you have? You can use an SST49LF080 as a backup chip for the
stock bios, just cat the stock bios onto itself to get two copies of it back
to back, and then flash it onto the chip.

>  My coreboot got as far as filo; but that could not find the disks;
> possibly because it is SATA.  (Because the machine is so similar to a
> M57SLI, I just duplicate the directories using the names dfi for gigabyte
> and nf570sli for m57sli; copied the files, and did some minor editing for
> the name couplets).

Weird, are you sure you've got the right disk names? Filo orders drives
starting with IDE, so if the southbridge (not the motherboard) supports 2
IDE channels, (4 drives), the first SATA device would be hde. That should
change if any of the ide channels are disabled, but that depends on wether
or not their being disabled correctly. Also, FILO should have an option to
use longer delays for some buggy SATA devices, can you try it?

I am going to add an IDE drive tomorrow, and start setting up systems
> properly.  If anyone is interested in DFI machines, I can get more chips.
>  Money is not a problem, so let me know if you need any of the above chips,
> and I can put in a bulk order and get discount.

Let us know how it goes! You will probably need to do some work on the IRQ
tables before Linux will boot, but who knows ;)

-Corey