[coreboot] Providing an identifier to a virtualization guest via SMBIOS

Bryan McLellan btm at loftninjas.org
Sat Oct 25 03:06:04 CEST 2008

I was digging around KVM trunk before leaving the office and it looked like the old vmport code (couldn't see anyone having used this with open-vm-tools though) has been scratched for some kind of qemu fw_cfg framework. Trunk does have a --uuid option, and it looks like with libvirt integration this at least will put the uuid of the guest somewhere on the guest where you can get to it.

If there's no decent way to interact with the vmport code that is there now (to mimic vmware's setguestinfo), I'll wait for the next release of KVM.

Bryan