[coreboot] Providing an identifier to a virtualization guest via SMBIOS

Bryan McLellan btm at loftninjas.org
Sat Oct 25 00:33:02 CEST 2008

Ultimately I want a KVM/libvirt guest booting using the
Coreboot/LinuxBIOS code to be able to figure out something unique
about it's host (like hostname) to script inventory management type
stuff (like iClassify).

I was perusing the rombios32.c [1] in the kvm-72+dfsg/bios folder of
the Ubuntu kvm package source to see if any data was gleaned off the
host and saw the lone bios_uud variable getting set by the uuid_probe
function.

Having no idea what any of that assembly does, my hopes are sparked by
the "check if backdoor port exists" comment. What is this magic, can I
poke it in some way to make it useful?

Bryan

[1] // $Id: rombios32.c,v 1.11 2007/08/03 13:56:13 vruppert Exp $