[coreboot] Using lar from payload

Kevin O'Connor kevin at koconnor.net
Wed Oct 22 03:20:17 CEST 2008

Hi,

I was looking through the coreboot code to see if I could access the
lar directly from SeaBIOS.  It looks like this is pretty straight
forward, so I think I might end up trying it.

However, I ran into one thing that looks like it will make things a
little difficult.  Currently, the lar code itself has the
decompression code linked into it.  If lar traversing code is added to
SeaBIOS, it looks like it will also have to support the various
decompress functions.  That will lead to a notable increase in payload
size.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the original plan for the lar
was to put the decompressors in their own lar files.  That would be
ideal for the SeaBIOS case, because then it could invoke the
decompress routines without having to duplicate them.

Would it be possible to move the decompressors to their own lar files?
Looking at the code it doesn't seem too difficult.

If I've missed something, please let me know.

-Kevin