[coreboot] new project.

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Sat Oct 18 21:54:10 CEST 2008

James Ortega wrote:
> > > load Linux Firewall off a solid state drive.
> >
> > If you have the possibility to use a larger flash chip than the
> > standard supplied with the board you can even load the Linux
> > kernel itself off the boot flash.
>
> Forgive my ignorance, something like CF Flash?

No, I should have been more clear, sorry. :)

Coreboot and a so-called payload are programmed into the flash chip
on the mainboard there the BIOS used to be.

The payload can of course be a boot-loader that loads a kernel from a
hard drive or CF (which is functionally identical to a hard drive) -
but the payload can also be a Linux kernel.

> I was looking for maybe an x2 would be fine for the processor.

If you're only going to forward packets I think that is huge
overkill.

> The drives will be needed to house the firewall software.  In
> addition they will contain the log files.

If you're running Linux there's already a firewall built-into the
kernel. If by software you mean lots of applications that will run
on top of the kernel then maybe those drives can be useful.

> As a precaution the log files will also be sent to a
> syslog server.

That's always a good idea.

> I'll look at the above mentioned boards and see if they fix my
> requirements.

Well, the Geode LX doesn't have the same bang as an X2, but it will
do firewalling without any problems.

//Peter