[coreboot] Fwd: SimNOW VGA int 1a

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 21:56:59 CEST 2008

one other note.

ron

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: ron minnich <rminnich at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 12:25 PM
Subject: Re: [coreboot] SimNOW VGA int 1a
To: Marc Jones <marc.jones at amd.com>
Cc: Myles Watson <mylesgw at gmail.com>, Jordan Crouse <jordan.crouse at amd.com>

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 12:19 PM, Marc Jones <marc.jones at amd.com> wrote:

> AH! I see. We shouldn't be running out of the ROM. That will be slow. We
> should copy the VGA BIOS to real memory and run it there.
>
> Why are you doing ROM init in stage0? I thought this was well into stage2.

So, safety tip: we can't call ANY ROM in stage2 when we're running
doing ROM init.

And I just realized the problem: we're calling printk and printk is in ROM.

no printks allowed in pcibios.c unless we move printk to RAM, i.e.
compile printk into stage2.

What a revolting development this is! Our beautiful "common code in
ROM" idea is going down in flames.

ron