[coreboot] SimNOW VGA int 1a

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Thu Oct 16 21:53:34 CEST 2008

On 16.10.2008 21:38, ron minnich wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 12:34 PM, ron minnich <rminnich at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 12:32 PM, Marc Jones <marc.jones at amd.com> wrote:
>>

>>> That gets us back to relocating or mutilple copies in the stages. I am ok
>>> with multiple copies in the ROM but it should be on version in the source.
>>> The problem with v2 is that there was ROMCC versions and main coreboot
>>> versions.
>>>
>> The beauty of carl-daniel's redesign of the "call ROM" stuff is that
>> we can have the same printk code in stage2 as in ROM and there is no
>> symbol conflict. But we now have to pretty much put all stage0 stuff
>> in stage2 as well. no choice.
>>
>> Myles, caching won't help.
>>
>> ron
>>

> somehow, we diverged from the list.
>
> OK, fun new story: you CAN NOT, while running VGA roms, call code in
> ROM. So stage2 has to be standalone.

I refuse to believe this. Sorry.

Can you post an explanation to the list why you think this is the case?
The stuff I've seen so far in this thread was rather incomplete and
unconvincing.

Remember when I insisted on keeping the stack in the same place for CAR
and RAM without discarding the contents? It was hard at first, but it
allowed us to do lots of good stuff and kept our mind open about the
requirements we insist on for less conveniently designed processors.
Same applies here.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel

--