[coreboot] IB520 Embedded MoBo

Davide Visconti viscontidavide at tele2.it
Tue Oct 14 00:41:51 CEST 2008

>> I have install, on my embedded system,
>> [...]
>
> This platform (Geode LX + CS5536) is well supported by coreboot, and
> several similar mainboards are already working well, but some code
> and data files will still be needed to make this specific mainboard
> work.
>
> SST49LF004B is a FWH type flash chip, and because it is in a socket
> it is easy to replace with a larger flash chips. There are compatible
> flash chips up to 16 Mbit (2Mbyte) in size, which is enough room for
> a Linux kernel.

Ok, Yes I thik that I can mount, for example, the SST49LF016C. (16Mbit)

>> After the installation can I "reinstall" my old bios? How?
>
> The program flashrom (http://www.coreboot.org/Flashrom) can be used
> to reprogram the contents of flash chips from Linux. But we strongly
> recommend you to buy several extra flash chips, so that you can swap
> between your factory BIOS and coreboot while developing. This is a
> nice idea: http://www.coreboot.org/Image:Pushpin_roms_2.jpg

That's right!
I will buy a extra flash chips, and, if possibile, a external hw for
download/reset the firmware.

> If you have some more money for the project it is nice to work with a
> ROM emulator, but the cheapest ones we know cost 150-200 EUR or so.

Sorry but... What is a Rom emulator? Can you post a sample link?

> If you want to work on adding support for this mainboard I suggest
> starting with the code for the ALIX boards, they may be similar and
> are well supported.

My difficulty is that i start from zero.
For example, I have see on a ALIX tutorial page
(http://www.coreboot.org/PC_Engines_ALIX1.C_Build_Tutorial) but I don't
find any sample or howto for build the firmware...
How I can make for build a firmware with a linux kernel and after
dowload it on a flash chips?

I can following this howto... ?
(http://www.coreboot.org/AMD_Geode_Porting_Guide)

Thank you for your patience and your collaboration.
Davide