[coreboot] v3: Taking a breath..

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Sat Oct 11 07:13:09 CEST 2008

ron minnich wrote:
> .. but I'd like to start getting via bits into v3 asap.

I would really like us to do a design review round before substantial
amounts of code supporting non-K8 systems are added to v3.

I realize everyone is eager to add as much as possible as quickly as
possible to v3, but I believe that this kind of frenzy and not much
forethought is the major reason for the mess that is v2.

I am not saying that we should stop working on v3 for two years. I'm
asking that we stick to the Hamburg plan, i.e. to step back and
evaluate (maybe tidy too) the code that is in v3 when simple
(geodelx) and complex (k8) are both working.

I would be surprised if it took more than a week or two even if we
are working distributed. A day or two if we were in the same room.

But I do believe it is important. There are several things to
address. (ACPI/resume, dts, device model, interrupt routing to name
just a few...)

This would affect all of stage2 - I don't think stage0 and stage1 can
change much, and even if they do they are quite small codebases so
not much work is needed to update even five or six of them. Those
who are not so interested in following/doing the review could
instead work on porting more CAR and RAM init code to v3.

Comments and flames, as always, most welcome.

//Peter