[coreboot] coreboot for a high end HP laptop ?

Vincent Legoll vincent.legoll at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 17:58:57 CEST 2008

On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 3:49 PM, Linuxguy123 <linuxguy123 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2008-10-09 at 08:20 -0700, ron minnich wrote:
>> >
>> > <snip>
>> >
>> > One other thing about this laptop... one can flash the BIOS from the
>> > machine itself.  Does that make loading/testing coreboot harder or
>> > easier ?
>> >

> Thanks for replying.
>
>> you are going to have to deal with intel. I doubt they will like your reason :-)
>
> What do you mean by that ?
>
>> Question: what is the business case from the HP and intel viewpoint?
>> Why do they care?
>
> Of course, they don't.  I am doing this for myself.  Is there something
> proprietary about my laptop that I need to know to install the BIOS ?

You'll need to know a lot of thing to *first* port coreboot to this new
motherboard (a port to a possibly new northbridge & southbridge)
which will all need proper free documentation. Then you'll need a way
to recover from development glitches such as having flashed a
non-working bios... And for a laptop, you better have some good
soldering skills at hand.

--
Vincent Legoll