[coreboot] splash screen

Jordan Crouse jordan.crouse at amd.com
Thu Oct 2 01:42:32 CEST 2008

On 02/10/08 01:23 +0200, Stefan Reinauer wrote:
> Jordan Crouse wrote:

> >> I'm trying x117 now?
> >>

> > Okay, since Ron is clearly serious about this, we have some matters to
> > attend to.  The most important is how we are going to format the image
> > in the payload.  I think we need to use a format that is
> > already familiar to the bootloader community - two that come to mind are
> > the lss16 format from Syslinux [1] and the xpm.gz format from Grub.
> >
> For the bootsplash (www.bootsplash.org) we used an integer only jpeg
> decompressor that fit into round about 8kb of code.
> Together with the compression rate of the jpeg picture itself, this is
> hard to beat in terms of size ..

Is said decompressor in a license that we can be happy with?  If so,
then I think we should consider adding it.

As a comparison - Ron's screenshot:

.png - 97466  bytes
.jpg - 46877  bytes
.rle - 24846  bytes

Implementation wise - the LSS16 function I just wrote is about 40 lines
of code with lots of whitespace.

Jordan

--
Jordan Crouse