[coreboot] Master degree student wanting to give some help.

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Wed Oct 1 23:29:33 CEST 2008

Hi Tiago,

Tiago Marques wrote:
> > >    Openmoko coreboot port or
> >
> > Probably not so useful. Is there a PCI bus in the Openmoko?
>
> Why is this important?

coreboot really does just two things; RAM init and bus init.

The buses coreboot knows so far are V-Link, HT and PCI(e).
(Did I miss some?)

> Supposedly, the next iteration of Intel's Atom platform won't
> feature a PCI bus, coreboot won't work with it?

coreboot already does not work with much of Intel's hardware, I don't
think a new Atom will have much effect on that.

That aside, of course coreboot could be made to support Atom. If
there's no PCI then maybe something else needs initialization,
complex or simple.

The point is that RAM and bus init is often pretty tricky, and on
smaller systems with simpler buses there isn't as much for coreboot
to do.

But of course, coreboot should run everywhere! :p

//Peter