[coreboot] r3777 build service

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Sat Nov 29 02:25:23 CET 2008

On 28.11.2008 23:03, Stefan Reinauer wrote:
> Corey Osgood wrote:
>

>>     This is exactly the error the change was supposed to fix.
>>

>> Is it possible the build system didn't rebuild abuild or some part of
>> the config system before it ran?
>>
>> -Corey
>>
> It's odd. I couldn't reproduce any failure in 5 complete abuild runs
> after we made the patch.
>
> The problem is that we end up with a valid option_table.o file (not
> truncated) but it has no symbols and no data in there.
> The file is 900 something bytes, which is exactly the size of an elf
> object created by
> touch foo.c
> gcc -c foo.c -o foo.o
>
> At least in one of the targets that failed, buid_opt_table was called 5
> times, whereas it should only be called twice in the whole build process.
>
> This makes me think make gets confused during the build process. Patrick
> suggested it might be some serialization issue, but I'm slowly running
> out of ideas for things that we can check without wasting a lot of time.

I think I can fix that serialization problem, but it seems r3777 makes
the situation a bit better than it was before. That alone is an improvement.
Stefan, you are right about the time/result tradeoff. If the failure
rate stays low enough, we might want to leave your fix in place and
simply accept the occassional failure.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel

--