[coreboot] YABEL: Yet another (legacy) BIOS Emulation Layer

Ward Vandewege ward at gnu.org
Fri Nov 28 00:27:17 CET 2008

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 06:19:48PM -0500, Ward Vandewege wrote:

> > > Incorrect Joseph - most legal opinions are that BSD and GPL are
> > > incompatible, so it is a problem for coreboot.  Not a problem for
> > > libpayload though - so we can borrow what we need.
> > Well, obviously as long as we carry around a copy of x86emu (which is
> > BSD, not GPL), we can accept BSD licensed patches to that code.
> >
> > I'm a bit surprised about "most legal opinions". Whose opinions are
> > they? Any pointers? Nobody ever complained about me linking libpayload
> > into FILO, for example, so it's not that incompatible). Do I have to
> > drop libpayload again?
>
> It's incompatible one way: from GPL to BSD. Not the other way, afaik. So it's
> fine to merge BSD'd code into a GPL'd codebase and placing it under GPL, but
> not the other way around. Then again, that's just my understanding, and
> IANAL.

And I was talking about the BSD license without advertising clause of course
(being far more common these days than the one with advertising clause,
thankfully). What Jordan said in the rest of this thread seems accurate to
me.

Thanks,
Ward.

--
Ward Vandewege <ward at fsf.org>
Free Software Foundation - Senior Systems Administrator