[coreboot] r3770 - trunk/util/msrtool

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Wed Nov 26 13:18:16 CET 2008

Jordan Crouse wrote:
>> findprog(), trycompile() and trylink() in the configure script are
>> short, fairly easy to understand and hopefully portable enough.
>
> Right - but autoconf scripts are portable _without_ hacking.  Thats
> the whole point.
That's sounds a tiny little bit like an urban legend?

I've spend about 5 years of my life (not full time ;-) adapting autoconf
stuff from one minor version of autoconf to the next, from one
architecture to another, and that was even all for the same linux
distribution. My memories tell me the actual architectural problem
becomes so small compared to the effort of getting the autoconf stuff
running that people start thinking their stuff is actually quite
portable otherwise. But of course, YMMV.

Stefan