[coreboot] r3770 - trunk/util/msrtool

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Tue Nov 25 18:03:35 CET 2008

Jordan Crouse wrote:
> >+pc_CFLAGS="$(pkg-config libpci --cflags 2>/dev/null)"
> >+pc_LDFLAGS="$(pkg-config libpci --libs 2>/dev/null)"
> >+CFLAGS=$(trycompile "libpci (from pciutils)" "${pc_CFLAGS}"
> >"-I/usr/local/include") || {
> >+	rm -f .config.c
> >+	exit 1
>
> Any reason why we don't just drink all the koolaid and use the full
> autoconf/automake/pkgconfig system in all its glory?

findprog(), trycompile() and trylink() in the configure script are
short, fairly easy to understand and hopefully portable enough.

> This seems to be fairly prone to porting issues - especially the
> -I/usr/local/include bit.

The first parameter to trycompile and trylink is a message, all the
rest are CFLAGS that should be tried in order, one at a time, until
one is found that will successfully compile/link the file.

So pkg-config output is tried first, if that doesn't work (maybe no
pkg-config installed) then -I/usr/local/include is tried. On Gentoo
no CFLAGS are needed at all because the library is in /usr and
/usr/include is always searched by gcc.

My thinking is that this is flexible enough while staying simpler
than autotools. I hope to get a similar configure script into
flashrom too, ticket 101.

//Peter