[coreboot] option roms in SeaBIOS and Coreboot

Rudolf Marek r.marek at assembler.cz
Tue Nov 25 11:38:29 CET 2008

> Thanks.  Does coreboot setup the option rom bar with a valid value?

Yes it does.

> If so, this makes things easy - I can just enable the existing value.

I think it may be enabled. Linux will disable the BAR.

here is a tip how to read option rom in linux:

cd /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000\:02\:00.0
echo enable > rom
hexdump -C rom

> Note that your patch doesn't seem to disable the mapping after the
> copy.  This is definitely necessary.  Maybe add something like:
>
>     pci_config_writel(bdf, PCI_ROM_ADDRESS, orig & ~PCI_ROM_ADDRESS_ENABLE);

Why we need it to disable? Just curious. Coreboot has assigned the address to it
so we are sure we won't be hit by something else.

> Also, since the initial SeaBIOS support, I found the pci spec (google
> for "PCI Firmware Specification v3.0 (2005-06-20).pdf"), and it
> indicates that multiple firmware images can be in the rom - the BIOS
> needs to walk the list and find the right one depending on the PCI
> headers.  Sigh - this stuff's never simple.

Yep ok.

> As near as I can tell, the code that updates next_rom is correct.  We
> don't want to increase next_rom until after the pnp init function is
> called, because that function can resize the rom.

OK the behavior did not change anyway.

I can try to test with mine PCIe SATA card. Do you think it will correctly patch
the BIOS so I will be at the end able to boot from it?

Rudolf