[coreboot] Latest GRUB uses Multiboot on coreboot

Jordan Crouse jordan at cosmicpenguin.net
Sun Nov 23 20:47:00 CET 2008

Gregg Levine wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 6:51 PM, Jordan Crouse <jordan at cosmicpenguin.net> wrote:
>> Robert Millan wrote:
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> Starting with revision 1910, latest version of GRUB uses the newly added
>>> Multiboot support in coreboot.  If you're using GRUB on coreboot, when you
>>> update to the latest GRUB mind that you also have to be using a recent
>>> version of coreboot.
>>>
>>> The main advantage this provides, is that you can now test how will GRUB
>>> for coreboot work on your hardware without having to flash it, and without
>>> having to worry about "bricking" the board.  E.g. from GRUB 2:
>>>
>>>  grub> multiboot /grub.elf
>>>  grub> boot
>>>
>>> and from GRUB Legacy:
>>>
>>>  grub> kernel /grub.elf
>>>  grub> boot
>> And following on to that, libpayload based payloads are now multiboot
>> enabled, so you can load them from GRUB in the BIOS environment of your
>> choice.  I've tried coreinfo on both traditional and coreboot with no
>> problems.  So you can use the above trick to test libpayload payloads
>> without flashing too.   The next step is teaching filo how to load multiboot
>> payloads, and of course, convincing the desktop distributions to ship
>> coreinfo.. :)
>>
>> Thanks to Robert for all his help.
>>
>> Jordan
>
> Hello!
> Jordan I can create the library that is based on the most recent
> revision of libpayload without any problem. But what about creating a
> working (or workable) payload from that?

Libpayload is, as the name indicates, a library; a rather limited C
library.  You will have to create your own payload that behaves the way
you want it to.  There is a sample "hello world" payload in the
libpayload code that can get you started, and you can look at some of
the current active payloads that use libpayload, including coreinfo,
tint and FILO.

Jordan