[coreboot] Latest GRUB uses Multiboot on coreboot

Gregg Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 23 03:38:41 CET 2008

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 6:51 PM, Jordan Crouse <jordan at cosmicpenguin.net> wrote:
> Robert Millan wrote:
>>
>> Hi!
>>
>> Starting with revision 1910, latest version of GRUB uses the newly added
>> Multiboot support in coreboot.  If you're using GRUB on coreboot, when you
>> update to the latest GRUB mind that you also have to be using a recent
>> version of coreboot.
>>
>> The main advantage this provides, is that you can now test how will GRUB
>> for coreboot work on your hardware without having to flash it, and without
>> having to worry about "bricking" the board.  E.g. from GRUB 2:
>>
>>  grub> multiboot /grub.elf
>>  grub> boot
>>
>> and from GRUB Legacy:
>>
>>  grub> kernel /grub.elf
>>  grub> boot
>
> And following on to that, libpayload based payloads are now multiboot
> enabled, so you can load them from GRUB in the BIOS environment of your
> choice.  I've tried coreinfo on both traditional and coreboot with no
> problems.  So you can use the above trick to test libpayload payloads
> without flashing too.   The next step is teaching filo how to load multiboot
> payloads, and of course, convincing the desktop distributions to ship
> coreinfo.. :)
>
> Thanks to Robert for all his help.
>
> Jordan

Hello!
Jordan I can create the library that is based on the most recent
revision of libpayload without any problem. But what about creating a
working (or workable) payload from that?
For example, where is that documented in the wiki? (Obviously from the
same place where I found the instructions to obtain the libpayload
code from the SVN storage point. But it's not obvious to me.)

On a related list Robert explained how to create grub.elf, I just
posted a note that I got it to work, both building of the thing, and
booting it, using Bochs.

-----
Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com
"This signature was once found posting rude
 messages in English in the Moscow subway."