[coreboot] r1026 - in coreboot-v3: mainboard/kontron/986lcd-m southbridge/intel/i82801gx

Corey Osgood corey.osgood at gmail.com
Sat Nov 15 05:40:59 CET 2008

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 11:00 PM, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger <
c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net> wrote:

> On 15.11.2008 04:32, ron minnich wrote:
> > OK, another idea then. rework ROM layout.
> >
> > top 32k: stage 1.
> > top-1 32k: fallback initram
> > top-2 32k: normal initram
> > The rest: the rest of lar.
> >
> > waste memory? yes. But this would let us dump PIC.
> >

> I'd like to postpone the discussion about dropping PIC until it becomes
> really necessary. Why? Because there are lots of benefits in freely
> movable initram files inside LAR. For one, the ability to unpack
> fallback/initram and repackage it as normal/initram (or vice versa)
> would disappear. I couldn't justify that as a deliberate design decision
> in any discussion. Especially the fact that there is no way to recognize
> from a bare initram file whether it is fallback or normal is a killer
> for the desire to be able to unpack and repack a LAR.

Should we just succumb to the way a factory BIOS does it? Initialize a
minimal amount of ram with the default chipset timings in initram, then do a
full blown ram init once we've got some real memory to work off of? Or would
that not solve the problem?

-Corey