[coreboot] Coreboot on Tyan S2892

Ward Vandewege ward at gnu.org
Wed Nov 12 23:39:17 CET 2008

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 04:29:41PM -0500, Anose, Bijoy K (N-Aerotek) wrote:
> I tried using LAB, but the LAB kernel build failed with what looked like
> linker errors:
>
> kernel/built-in.o: In function `getnstimeofday':
> (.text+0x15491): undefined reference to `__umoddi3'
> kernel/built-in.o: In function `do_gettimeofday':
> (.text+0x1553c): undefined reference to `__udivdi3'
> kernel/built-in.o: In function `do_gettimeofday':
> (.text+0x1555f): undefined reference to `__umoddi3'
> kernel/built-in.o: In function `update_wall_time':
> (.text+0x15c55): undefined reference to `__udivdi3'
> kernel/built-in.o: In function `update_wall_time':
> (.text+0x15c7f): undefined reference to `__umoddi3'
> make[1]: *** [vmlinux] Error 1
>
> I highly doubt that the vanilla kernel from kernel.org had build issues,
> so I'm guessing one or more of the patches are suspect.

Is this with an unmodified buildrom?

I just built an s2892 rom image with LAB payload (32 bit) using the latest
buildrom revision, without problems. I'm building on 32-bit Ubuntu Hardy.
Toolchain issue?

> In case this turns out to be a dead end, what does porting a driver to
> FILO involve?

LAB shouldn't be a dead end - I've got it in production on several Tyan
systems (s2881, s2882).

> > > The first ROM image I created painted some nice pinstripes on the
> > > display after a warm reboot, and when I fully powered down and
> started
> > > again, I got a nice alternating tone from the PC speaker.  I'm
> > > suspecting this has something to do with my payload.  Either it is
> > > wrong entirely, or it needs additional configuration.
> >
> > Are you going to use the onboard video controller?  Did you
> > include the VGA BIOS for it?
>
> Ultimately, we would like to have VGA capability, but until I have basic
> coreboot functionality
> working, using the serial console will be just fine.  I thought the
> buildrom config/build process
> was going to take care of that, but I guess I was mistaken.  If I
> understand correctly, leaving out
> the ~36k chunk will still allow me to have all the core functionality,
> just without VGA output..

Yes. Once you have the image, you just prepend your VGA rom to the image, and
flash it. You can get the VGA rom from the factory bios by using the correct
decode utility (see the s2881 tutorial, for example).

Thanks,
Ward.

--
Ward Vandewege <ward at fsf.org>
Free Software Foundation - Senior Systems Administrator