[coreboot] Help test SeaBIOS option roms

Kevin O'Connor kevin at koconnor.net
Sun Nov 9 04:21:16 CET 2008

Hi,

I just finished adding initial support for option rom deployment in
SeaBIOS.  The idea is to allow SeaBIOS to be able to scan and run
option roms without assistance from coreboot.

Unfortunately, I don't have any PCI cards with option roms on them.
It would help if others could test this and report how it works.

The latest code is in git.  To pull it, run:

git clone git://git.linuxtogo.org/home/kevin/seabios.git

I've also placed a pre-compiled payload at:

http://linuxtogo.org/~kevin/SeaBIOS/bios.bin.elf-20081108

If you have an on-board VGA at BDF 0x0100 and build the vga rom at
0xfffc0000 (as is common on coreboot-v2 with via motherboards), then
you can also use:

http://linuxtogo.org/~kevin/SeaBIOS/bios.bin.elf-20081108-viavga

The option rom deployment code is at:

http://git.linuxtogo.org/?p=kevin/seabios.git;a=blob;f=src/optionroms.c;h=aa6f8bb85da9e0a070dffc897bab0a737fd6681d;hb=ceea03c235f337062b3ded69cc658ea759e254f6#l177

I'm a little concerned on how to ensure that the option rom is mapped
to an area not cached and not in conflict with something else.  So, I
ended up mapping it to just above memory.  (I only map it long enough
to copy it.)  Hopefully this will work out okay.

In order to support on-board option roms, I've added an ability to
allow devices (with a specified Bus/Dev/Fn) to have option roms pulled
from flash instead of PCI space.  This is in keeping with how
coreboot-v2 handles built-in option roms.  (For coreboot-v3, I'd like
to add in LAR parsing.)

Finally, if you want to try building from source, please be sure to
update config.h and set CONFIG_COREBOOT and CONFIG_DEBUG_SERIAL, and
clear CONFIG_OPTIONROMS_DEPLOYED.

Thoughts?
-Kevin