[coreboot] new board: LiPPERT Cool SpaceRunner-LX

Jordan Crouse jordan.crouse at amd.com
Tue Nov 4 01:58:45 CET 2008

On 04/11/08 01:44 +0100, Uwe Hermann wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 03, 2008 at 09:01:49AM -0700, Jordan Crouse wrote:
> > > However, I happened to notice that you also deleted all "Based on ..."
> > > lines and I'm a little bit unhappy about this. As I said in my last
> > > mail, I'd have liked to pay credit to the code that served me as
> > > example. ... Well, at least the SpaceRunner-LX patch is in now. ...
> >
> > I would actually prefer the "based on" syntax rather then retaining
> > the copyright notice, if you ask me.  If you are just copying the same
> > API calls that all other motherboards use, then there is hardly anything
> > to copyright in the first place.
>
> Full ACK.
>
> The only question here is whether this is the case for the
> cache_as_ram_auto.c file or not, but I'll leave that to you guys to judge.
>

> > Now, if there are some chunks of
> > unmodified code that are unique to the db800 code (such as a local function)
> > then thats a different story, but if you are just copying what everybody
>
> Yep.
>

> > else has done, retaining the copyright notice is silly and deleting the
> > "Based on" lines is double silly.
>
> I don't agree here (obviously). If we had added a "based on" line, every
> time someone cloned some other board in v2, we'd have files like this
> by now:
>
> /*
>  * Based on the foo/bar target from vendor X.
>  * Based on the foo/baz target from vendor Y.
>  * Based on the foo/xxx target from vendor Z.
>  * Based on the foo/yyy target from vendor A.
>  * Based on the foo/zzz target from vendor B.
>  * ...
>  */
>
> I'm _sure_ we can find code in v2 that has gone through more than 8 or 9
> copy-paste iterations. Keeping adding "based on" lines just doesn't make
> much sense IMHO.

I don't think we need to append them to one another.  I think that over
time we will find that a number of canotical mainboards that everybody
uses, and the "Based on" will just be inherited.   And even if it isn't,
it doesn't really hurt us if this mainboard says "Based on msi/blah" and
then msi/blah says based on "acer/foo".  Its not like this code has
traveled very far.

Jordan