[coreboot] Newbie questions

Richard Green rich at atomic-x.co.uk
Sat May 31 21:42:19 CEST 2008

Hi,

I'm looking to build a headless system, mainly for messing around with
Linux which I'd like to access remotely and via a serial console
without the need for a keyboard and monitor. Unfortunately I don't
really have the budget to buy a server motherboard and the kind of
processor that goes with it (I already have a core 2 duo, so just plan
to get a suitable motherboard for that), and so wont be able to run it
headless and get a serial console from boot. I do realise that Linux
can provide a serial console from grub, but I'd like to be able to
reinstall and do everything without a monitor in the house.

My question is; If I got a supported motherboard and installed
coreboot upon it, would I be able to configure it so that all output
from power-on was redirected to a serial port on the motherboard, and
all configuration could be completed using this method so that I could
boot and install operating systems from CD, etc using just the serial
console? Would it be completely supported by Linux or would there be
any noticeable difference to, say using a standard motherboard with a
standard BIOS?

Thanks for your help,
Rich