[coreboot] legacybios update

Kevin O'Connor kevin at koconnor.net
Tue May 20 02:02:13 CEST 2008

On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 03:14:22AM -0400, Kevin O'Connor wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just pushed a new elf payload to:
>
> http://linuxtogo.org/~kevin/legacybios/bios.bin.elf-20080518
>
> This version should be free of qemu dependencies.

Just wanted to give an update.  On Sunday, Uwe was able to run some
tests with "legacybios".  What was found:

* coreboot-v2 can run legacybios.  It does require disabling
  valid_area() check in in src/boot/elfboot.c

* legacybios will start up on real hardware (tested with coreboot-v2),
  but there were some issues with kbd init, ide init, and usleep.
  This prevented booting a real OS.  Latest "legacybios" git should
  address kbd init and usleep.

* A more detailed analysis of filo shows that it has a more advanced
  ide init (it does a pci scan for ide controllers and it has
  "floating bus detection").  I'm going to work on advancing the
  "legacybios" code to also do this.

Uwe also put together a wiki page at:

http://www.coreboot.org/LegacyBIOS

-Kevin