[coreboot] Now Proposal for cross-compiler Re: Simnow & payloads (Was: something else)

Marc Karasek Marc.Karasek at Sun.COM
Wed May 14 16:58:26 CEST 2008

Jordan, Marc, Ron,  et all.

I found the problem with building coreboot-v2.  It was the binutils.  I
believe the seg fault in linking tint/coreinfo is the same issue.  I
will try to verify this soon.

I would like to propose that we move to a cross-compile type of
environment.  We could use crosstools scripts to build a complete
environment that would go under /opt/crosstools.
This could then be used by buildrom to build with.  The advantage is
that everyone will be on the same page in terms of gcc/binutils/glibc
versions and we can have a better control over what tools
are used.  It gets us away from any distro/tools dependencies.  It will
also let us test new toolchains in a very controlled environment.
Another added bonus with a common set of tools is that third-party
developers
can use this without worrying about toolchain issues.

I have some experience in using cross-compilers from other embedded
projects.  I have already setup crosstools with gcc 4.1.0 / binutils
2.16 / glibc 2.3.6 on my system.  I could take on the task of modifying
buildrom to use this toolchain instead of the "native" toolchain.   I

Marc

Marc Karasek
MTS
Sun Microsystems