[coreboot] r3304 - in trunk/util: . inteltool

Joseph Smith joe at settoplinux.org
Wed May 14 04:01:32 CEST 2008

On Wed, 14 May 2008 03:51:49 +0200, Stefan Reinauer <stepan at coresystems.de>
wrote:
> Joseph Smith wrote:
>> Wow, slow down. I really like all the new stuff Stefan. But is it
>> compatable with all the ICH's per datasheets? I see the ICH7 is the only
>> tested one. The old gpio_dump was not exactly pretty but it did the job,
>> and should have worked on all ICH's per datasheets. Are you sure we
> should
>> have dropped it? If you like in the next day or two I can test it out on
>> the ICH4, so it can be added
> ICH4 will require very few lines of additional code. But basically the
> gpio dump function did not change much. Except now it also prints the
> register names. If those changed, older ICHs will need an additional
> register description, or they will print the wrong names.
> No big magic.
>
> I think we should not implicitly go with "all PCI IDs below this number
> follow the old scheme" heuristics, but instead add those ICHs that we
> checked explicitly. The infrastructure for doing that is quite in place.
>
> Also, there's a mechanism to disable dumping for example the MCHBAR on
> those chipsets that don't have one.
>
> But please, do test this and add the few missing lines to make it work
> on your chipset.

The research that I have done for i82801xx(I'm sure Corey & Uwe can back me
on this) is that most of the register settings for ICH -> ICH5 are the same
and ICH6 -> ICH9 are a little bit different. inteltool may get a little
more complicated now that you have the northbridge involved also. I am
pretty sure the nothbridge registers very dramaticly from chip to chip.
But, I will give it a shot, and at least get a few more chips added :-)
--
Thanks,
Joseph Smith