[coreboot] coreboot BIOS? No thank you.

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Tue May 13 04:02:48 CEST 2008

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 03:08:56AM +0200, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
> > I specifically do not want coreboot to know about BIOS tables.
>
> Having a payload generate this from e.g. the device tree needs a
> device tree parser in the payload, a thing I'd like to avoid for
> size reasons.

One reason we picked dt in Hamburg was that the binary packed form
was very simple to parse. I don't think the size will be a problem.

> Having a Kconfig option "Generate legacy tables" would be the way
> to go IMHO.

Please do not do this. :\ I would consider it a serious regression in
coreboot.

The idea is to stay legacy free in order to avoid constraints and
actively support and further evolution.

Adding (even optional) legacy support into coreboot feels quite
counter-productive. :\

Short-term BIOS support is still needed to be a drop-in replacement.

Slightly-longer-term anything BIOS must be discouraged IMHO.

Kevin, please don't think I dislike your work - it is truly great!
But I do hope that it will be a trampoline to better BIOSless boots
in the near future.

//Peter