[coreboot] elf payload legacybios - boots on v3 in qemu

Kevin O'Connor kevin at koconnor.net
Tue May 13 00:14:12 CEST 2008

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 02:46:44PM -0600, Myles Watson wrote:
> > I'm looking for feedback on exactly the above.  There are several ways
> > to support per-board info in "legacybios":
> >
> > * Have legacybios populate the information:
> >
> >   * By a) compiling legacybios on a board by board basis with info for
> >     each board merged into the compile process
> >
> >   * or b) have the info passed to legacybios from corebios in some raw
> >     format, and then have legacybios build the PC specific tables from
> >     it
> >
> > * or, have coreboot build the PC specific tables:
>
> I think this option is more flexible.
>

> >   * and c) put them somewhere in memory where legacybios can then copy
> >     it to the 0xf0000 segment
>
> I like this one better.  It seems more robust.

Sounds good to me.  The only catch with this method is that the
"legacybios" code then needs to know where in memory the info is.

I'm not that familiar with coreboot - is there some way for info to
get passed from coreboot to a payload?  How can the payload know how
much memory is in the system?

> >   * or d) work out some arrangement where coreboot puts them into
> >     0xf0000 in such a way that legacybios doesn't overwrite those
> >     areas when it is also loaded into that segment.

Thanks.
-Kevin