[coreboot] [RFC] flashrom: Add feature bitfield

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Mon May 12 17:49:55 CEST 2008

On 12.05.2008 04:56, Peter Stuge wrote:
> On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 05:28:30PM +0200, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
>
>> I'd like to introduce another field into struct flashchip: u32 flags.
>>

> The concept is completely neccessary, we have to keep track of more
> and more information as memory chips become more and more complex.
>
> I'm afraid I'm not sure about this implementation thought.
> Specifically I'm hesitant about adding a new field that can not
> apply to all entries - that usually means the model isn't so nice.

Well, we could easily use the flags for parallel flash as well. A lot of
our parallel flash chips have very similar write routines and we could
use the flags two decide which variant to use.

> I think I prefer a separate database for the more complex information
> that we need for the SPI chips.

Since this would be a per-chip database like the per-chip database we
already have in flashchips.c, avoiding the problem of keeping both
databases in sync would be really appreciated.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel