[coreboot] proposed patch, notsigned off, comments welcome.

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Mon May 12 17:02:07 CEST 2008

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 3:08 AM, Peter Stuge <peter at stuge.se> wrote:
> On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 09:51:10PM -0700, ron minnich wrote:
>> At the very least, explain how the confusing thicket of LX
>> interrupts is wired up,
>
> So decode the mapping and input condition MSRs.

that didn't help at all with the MFGPT problem.

>> In the limit, we ought to be able to run this tool on a working
>> system, compare it to a non-working system, and see what's
>> different.
>
> A small number (4 or 6) of MSRs really have all the information that
> is needed. Just dump them.

No, I want it all. The GPIOs play in this game, as does 4d0/4d1; there
are a lot of chances for things to go wrong.

>> I will rename them too but at present I'm a lot more concerned with
>> tracking down whatever is set up wrong on the alix1c. Something is
>> just flat out wrong! We need to find it and I'm running out of time
>> with the Berlin show looming.
>
> Oh but I'm not sure we have any PCI cards anyway. I don't, at least.

I do on the alix1c. And they don't work.

>> You have to talk to VRs because VSA talks VRs, and when you Do
>> Certain Things, VSA gets involved. So I am not inclined to ignore
>> the VRs.
>
> My point is that VRs are only a translation mechanism and a proven
> black box. VRs should not cause the problem, and in this case it is
> far better to avoid software translation since there is enough
> hardware translation already to cause confusion.

Doesn't matter to me. coreboot uses them, I want to see what VSA's
opinion is on their value.

> I will try to test. Maybe I can find a 3v wifi card.

thanks

> USB is 5536-internal and does not cause interrupts in the same way
> that the actual (external) PCI bus does. 5536 modules interrupt on
> PIC Unrestricted Y inputs, while PCI INTA..INTD come in on PIC
> Unrestricted Z inputs. They have individual mappings.

but the IRQ is shared. That's what makes this so much fun.

>> -- the ethernet, which is attached in the same way (with the same
>> wire!) as the PCI slot, works just fine. It's very odd.
>
> Have you tested/asked Pascal if/how INTA..INTD are swizzled on the 1c?

I've had schematics for months. I know how they're swizzled. They just
don't work.

ron