[coreboot] PCI bus mastering

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Sun May 11 00:19:35 CEST 2008

On Fri, May 09, 2008 at 10:29:29AM -0700, ron minnich wrote:
> Once the NIC is enabled, will it receive packets?
> If so, where do broadcast packets end up?
> I don't know. So this is quite dangerous.

Not neccessarily. Resources being allocated does not really mean
the controller can pass traffic into the system.

Typically a driver has to set up RX descriptors that are used to
exchange data between card and driver, until the driver has reset the
card and set everything up no interrupts are likely to fire.

> Any objections to making it something we do at the very end, as
> opposed to the probe step? That's what phase 6 is for.

Well I'd like it to be configurable, but after that I'm not sure
which phase is best. 4-6 all seem good, though there's nothing
written about 5-6 in newboot.lyx.

//Peter