[coreboot] GRUB2 Questions

Patrick Georgi patrick at georgi-clan.de
Fri May 9 15:31:35 CEST 2008

Am Thu, 08 May 2008 13:32:11 -0400
schrieb Joe <joe at settoplinux.org>:
> Are there any plans to load GRUB2's grub.cfg from a hard disk. This
> would make it editable to the end user. I think it is kind of
> important for a Multiboot Loader.
After some discussion with Stefan, we agreed that it would be more
flexible to stick to (memdisk)/grub.cfg as default.

This configfile could then pass control to some other config, by
writing "configfile (ata0,1)/grub.cfg" in it.

This is more flexible because you don't have to recompile grub to
change the target (just add a new grub.cfg in coreboot v3, or redo
mkdiskimage/mkimage for coreboot v2).

This is also more flexible, because you could (with some effort) have
the (memdisk)/grub.cfg look up the available devices and search for
grub.cfg files there, passing control to them.
That way, it doesn't matter, if you have it on (ata0,1), (ata0,5),
(ata2,17), or (usb0,1).

Is that okay for you?

Regards,
Patrick