[coreboot] [RFC] kill unwanted_vpci, use "hidden" property instead

Marc Jones Marc.Jones at amd.com
Thu May 8 20:16:08 CEST 2008

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:

> My current plan is:
> - encapsulate all those code sequences into calls of one or two functions
> - switch all calls from hide_vpci(some_value_calculated_by_hand) to
> hide_vpci_dev(struct device *)
OK.

> - replace the central array of hand-calculated values with a
> per-PCI-device "hidden" property.

I think that this will add complications that you don't intend.

There are two reasons to hide a device.
1. Your platform doesn't use the device and so there is no reason for it
to hang about. This option was addressed with the array of device
location that you noted, but I don't think that anyone used it. (OLPC
doesn't count)

2. There is shared hardware and only one device can be present at a
time. An example of this is IDE or flash and 5536 USB configuration.

Adding a hidden property could handle the first case but then every
device will have a dts to contain a property that isn't used.

In the second case, the logic to hide the device is based on other
configurations and the hidden property would either be pointless or
confuse the issue of if or when the device should be hidden.

Marc

--
Marc Jones
Senior Firmware Engineer