[coreboot] [Fwd: Re: Contact Intel]

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Thu May 1 17:12:52 CEST 2008

On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 5:23 AM, Joe <joe at settoplinux.org> wrote:

>  I couldn't agree with you more Richard, but on the other hand it is nice to
>  think someday Intel will wake up and realize the world is changing around
>  them :-)

that's a form letter that we have seen before. It's a "canned
response". So, they have thought enough about the issue to have a
standard corporately-approved position letter all ready to go when
folks ask this question. And, we all know it's baloney.

What I find amusing about their "third party BIOS" comment is that
*every* BIOS is a third party BIOS, and many if not all of them are
based on reverse engineering done years ago. The least of the worries
was chipset specs; the chipset specs were mostly open.

Ah well. They're either going to win, and BIOSes will remain
proprietary; or, we'll win, and the x86 BIOS world will be as open as
the ARM, MIPS, PPC, and others are. One thing I've noticed -- no
matter how long the odds may seem, it's always a mistake to bet
against free/open source. So far, every time Intel has worked against
free and open source, they've lost -- and they've tried many times in
the last 30 years.

ron