[coreboot] ADLO for buildrom

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Thu May 1 01:51:04 CEST 2008

Uwe Hermann wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 01:31:33PM -0600, Myles Watson wrote:
>
>> There is very little duplicated here.  The ADLO in coreboot relies on
>> building the BOCHS bios from source with dev86, but the payloads/adlo uses
>> the new legacybios version.  The only thing that is exactly the same is one
>> of the elf headers.
>>

> Can you elaborate? I think I never heard of legacybios so far. What's
> the purpose and history and relation to ADLO of that? Does it _replace_
> ADLO completely or enhance it or... ? Also, from a quick glance it
> doesn't seem to be written specifically for coreboot, what's the
> original purpose (just curious)?
>
> Do you have a comparison between ADLO as in v2 svn vs. legacybios?

Please please please do not make 5 trees in 5 places with different
copies of ADLO and its legacy bios. This is not the way to go.

1. if it needs to be moved to payloads/ lets move it.
2. if we should switch to legacybios from Kevin O'Connor let's do this
too, or lets leave a choice.

> Also note that legacybios is GPLv3, not sure if that's a problem
> for us. Do we link GPLv2 code against that?

It's not linked in at any point. It's loaded. Just like the linux kernel
loads ELF files. At least for v3 we can say for sure.