[coreboot] recent mainboard with coreboot support and certain requirements

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Sat Mar 29 22:24:33 CET 2008

On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 09:34:51PM +0100, Paul Menzel wrote:
> > There are certainly a lot more power-consuming graphics adapters
> > out there, this is the cheapest PCI-E one I could get (I couldn't
> > care less about 3D performance).
>
> Now the interesting question is, how much more power a mainboard
> with onboard graphic is using compared to a board without.

They can be better, and worse, than when using discrete graphics.
I am afraid software matters much more than graphics IP locality. :\

The only concrete increase in power consumption with discrete
graphics would be the graphics RAM.

Of course GPU features matter more, and one reason for onboard
GPU affinity is that those GPUs usually are less advanced than
those on discrete cards - but surely a simple graphics card can
still be found?

Anyway, I would argue that no PC-like system except possibly the
XO laptop comes even close to power management worth mentioning.

//Peter