[coreboot] MIPS Yamon replacement?

Uwe Hermann uwe at hermann-uwe.de
Fri Mar 28 00:55:14 CET 2008

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 03:14:36PM +0100, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
> On 27.03.2008 04:19, Jake Peavy wrote:
> > I'd be interested in trying to help with this effort.  It would be certainly
> > be a learning experience for me.
> >
> > If Coreboot has been ported to PPC it might be very similar.  Both PPC and
> > MIPS architectures are RISC based, but maybe that's where the similarities
> > end.
> >

> Well, only v2 has been ported to PPC and the structure of v3 is
> radically different. However, the v3 structure allows much easier
> porting, so I think v3 would be your preferred target.

Yep, definately.

v2 (or was it v1?) also had some support for Alpha, btw.

> > Based on http://www.mips.com/media/files/MD00103-2B-4KE-SUM-02.04.pdfsection
> > 6.1.5, MIPS execution begins at 0x1FC00000.  At least on the MIPS32 core I
> > have ;-)
> >

> I assume MIPS boards have some sort of ROM. How is that ROM mapped into
> the address space?

Also, are there generic "PC"-like machines with a standard "ROM chip" as
in x86-world, or are they exclusively embedded boards? How would you go
about flashing such a board? Can flashrom be hacked to support them or
do you usually use some sort of JTAG interface?

Uwe.