[coreboot] ICH Series i82801xx EHCI (USB 2.0) problems

Uwe Hermann uwe at hermann-uwe.de
Wed Mar 26 18:57:51 CET 2008

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 10:12:29PM -0400, joe at smittys.pointclark.net wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 06:51:24PM -0400, joe at smittys.pointclark.net wrote:
>>> I am having a problem getting coreboot->Linux initialize any high
>>> speed USB 2.0 devices like flash drives. The USB works fine on low
>>
>> Flash drive? You mean mounting a USB thumb drive? That should work fine,
>> I tested that on various coreboot boards. Or do you mean an external
>> IDE/SATA drive which is connected via USB to the computer? I think
>> both should work fine.
>>
> Yes neithor of these are working. I have tried USB thumb drives, and a
> IDE-to-USB 2.0 adapter with hard drive and DVD-rom drive.

Hm, that's strange, because the thumb drive should work even with
USB 1.1 only (it sure does on my boards).

Which ports did you try to use? AFAIUI only one or two of them will be
USB 2.0, the other ones have USB 1.1 speed only, no matter which
settings the BIOS uses.

If you can, please test some other high-speed USB device (not thumb
drives or disks).

>> Note that AFAICT the USB ports _should_ be intialized ok with coreboot
>> if the board code is ok, but they might only act as "full speed"
>> (USB 1.1) devices.
>>
> Nope USB 2.0 devices (drives) are not detected at bootup, or by hot
> plugging in Linux. USB 1.1 Keyboards, and mice, work fine.

Hm, the kernel init _seems_ to look ok to me, but maybe I'm missing
something.

PCI: Found IRQ 7 for device 0000:00:1d.7
ehci_hcd 0000:00:1d.7: EHCI Host Controller
ehci_hcd 0000:00:1d.7: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 4
ehci_hcd 0000:00:1d.7: debug port 1
ehci_hcd 0000:00:1d.7: irq 7, io mem 0xf8180000
ehci_hcd 0000:00:1d.7: USB 2.0 started, EHCI 1.00, driver 10 Dec 2004
usb usb4: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
hub 4-0:1.0: USB hub found
hub 4-0:1.0: 6 ports detected

Is the IRQ routing correct? If you attach and use USB devices on those
ports, do the numbers in /proc/interrrupts increase?

> Not that I am aware, EHCI seems to setup ok in coreboot, except the
> devices are not detected by coreboot, filo, or Linux.
>>
>> What exactly does _not_ work btw?
> When Linux is running and I plug in a USB flash drive, the led on the
> drive comes on for a few seconds and then turns off, and Linux does not
> detect the drive. I have tried several different brands. They work fine
> with the original bios.

With or without a USB hub? If hub, is it a self-powered hub? Does the
drive get enough power?

Hm, not sure what's going on, maybe someone else can comment? It's
possible that you indeed have to do the init mentioned in the datasheet.

Uwe.