[coreboot] ICH Series i82801xx EHCI (USB 2.0) problems

Uwe Hermann uwe at hermann-uwe.de
Wed Mar 26 02:26:41 CET 2008

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 06:51:24PM -0400, joe at smittys.pointclark.net wrote:
> I am having a problem getting coreboot->Linux initialize any high
> speed USB 2.0 devices like flash drives. The USB works fine on low

Flash drive? You mean mounting a USB thumb drive? That should work fine,
I tested that on various coreboot boards. Or do you mean an external
IDE/SATA drive which is connected via USB to the computer? I think
both should work fine.

To really test USB 2.0 speeds you probably need something like a USB
DVB-T card (for watching TV) or something similarly fast, I guess.

> speed USB 1.1 devices like keyboards and mice. I don't think coreboot
> -> i82801xx_usb_ehci.c is initializing the device correctly. According
> to the Intel® 82801EB (ICH5), 82801ER (ICH5R), and 82801DB (ICH4)
> Enhanced Host Controller Interface (EHCI) Programmer?s Reference
> Manual (PRM) http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets/manuals/298656.htm
> there are a bunch of steps that the bios is responsible to set this
> device up. i82801xx_usb_ehci.c is not doing all of these steps. Is

Correct, none of the code in svn seems to do any special init for EHCI.
Maybe it's just not required, maybe it _is_ required and nonbody tested
high speed devices, not sure.

Note that AFAICT the USB ports _should_ be intialized ok with coreboot
if the board code is ok, but they might only act as "full speed"
(USB 1.1) devices.

> anyone else using the i82801xx code having any problems with high
> speed USB 2.0 devices???

I have this board I could use to test, but it doesn't have EHCI (only
USB 1.1 ports), so that won't help much, I'm afraid.

http://www.coreboot.org/ASUS_MEW-AM_Build_Tutorial

Maybe you can post a full boot log (coreboot + kernel + kernel command
line options you used) with full debug levels enabled. Are there any
hints in the log what the problem could be?

What exactly does _not_ work btw? Do the USB ports not work _at all_ or
are they just "slow"? Which board is this? RM4100?

Uwe.