[coreboot] filo booting cd problem

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Tue Mar 25 12:28:35 CET 2008

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 10:15:45AM +0000, Tiago Marques wrote:
> Any particular reason for that?

Coreboot is not the OS loader if the OS is on a CD. Coreboot is what
runs before that loader. An OS loader can be eliminated completely if
the OS fits into the boot flash, but so far this is not the typical
case. (LAB, Linux-as-Bootloader)

> If it is indeed this widespread, it would be something necessary
> for a bigger deployment of coreboot than what is possible today.

FILO (GRUB2?) are the OS loaders that can load from a CD. If support
for the ElTorito extension is needed it should be added there. Sorry
I wasn't more clear about this separation in the last post. I should
have been more clear since the subject says FILO but the discussion
started going toward coreboot.

But - ElTorito is needed only for floppy disk emulation. Possibly it
can be avoided completely and instead we'll have native support for
booting from the CDs that people want to use. (As FILO already does
for Linux, and hopefully will do for Windows too once booting Windows
in general works well enough.)

//Peter