[coreboot] coreboot + Linux = ?

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Sun Mar 16 17:08:42 CET 2008

ron minnich wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 6:11 PM,  <joe at smittys.pointclark.net> wrote:
>

>>  > coreboot is an alternative. I was asking if anyone knew about
>>  > interest for a stronger bond between coreboot and Linux.
>>  >
>>  >
>>  Ah, gotcha...
>>

> Actually, it requires only that somebody start dropping patches in.
> But what, really, do we need? EFI makes all kinds of demands on Linux
> ... coreboot doesn't.

This is our big marketing weakness leading to answers such as "fix your
bios". Believe it or not, I just implemented an SMBIOS implementation
for coreboot in order to be able to use ACPI without acpi=force on the
command line. That's the way to go? We do have requirements to the OS,
but we do not pronounce them enough. One requirement would be: Don't
look for SMBIOS if you already found a coreboot lbtable and do use ACPI
in that case, because if thats buggy, we can fix it.
Or: we initialize video with 1024x786x16 instead of 80x25 and have a
corebootfb read that resolution from lbtable, behaving like vesafb
otherwise.
There are things that come to mind when actually thinking beyound
booting a cluster or server.

Stefan