[coreboot] booting xen from coreboot

Ward Vandewege ward at gnu.org
Thu Mar 13 13:48:44 CET 2008

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 01:35:51PM +0300, Mikhail Savchenko wrote:
>    Trying to boot xen from coreboot, using filo as payloader and mbootpack
>    for getting bzImage with xen and xenolinux, but always getting error, that
>    my loader not multiboot.

Yeah, you can't do that - filo does not support multiboot for the kernel it's
trying to start.

You can make a kernel that has kexec support built in, boot that from filo,
and then make that kexec into the Xen kernel.

Or; you can use linux-as-a-bootloader to have that kexec kernel in the rom
chip, and kexec the xen kernel on the disk. Buildrom can help you to do that,
but it assumes at least a 1MB rom chip.

>    Also, trying to use grub as payloader, but cann't understand how setup it
>    right. Can anybody assist with solution of booting xen with coreboot?

Sure, see above. We have machines running Xen using both methods described
above.

Thanks,
Ward.

--